Video poster images not showing

scarlett

06 Oct, 2021 03:03 PM

Hello!
All the videos on my site are missing poster images all of a sudden. Here's an example: http://scarlettcoley.com/portfolio/army/
I've checked the vimeo settings and the individual video settings in the RoyalSlider and don't see anything wrong. Can you please advise?

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dmitry Semenov on 06 Oct, 2021 07:04 PM

Hello,

It seems Vimeo changed how its cover images are stored and no longer provides easy access to them without prior direct API call. I'll try to figure out a solution to this.

For now, you may upload your own cover images (Edit Slide -> Change/Upload Image), so they're stored in your WordPress media library.

2. 2 Posted by scarlett on 08 Oct, 2021 02:53 PM

Thanks Dmitry ~
    Sounds like this effects anyone using Royalslider and Vimeo? Thanks!
    Scarlett

3. 3 Posted by scarlett on 08 Oct, 2021 03:04 PM

Hi Dmitry ~ I just tried to follow your advice to update all the videos with custom images and this is extremely time consuming. I'd have to hide the vimeo player UI from each video, take screenshot, edit it, upload, and then put the player UIs back on each. Do you have a sense of how long it will take to get the global functionality working again? I'd like to know if I should wait. Thanks!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Dmitry Semenov on 08 Oct, 2021 05:23 PM

I haven't figured out a solution yet that would work within WP environment well, you may check this service to get the thumbnail quickly.

5. 5 Posted by scarlett on 09 Oct, 2021 12:03 AM

Thank you ; )

6. 6 Posted by scarlett on 22 Oct, 2021 03:34 PM

Thank you Dmitry, but the thumbnail service you provided is too low res. I did hear from Vimeo and they provided some technical support info that isn't useful to me (as a non developer) but I could share with you if helpful. This issue MUST be effecting many other RoyalSlider users. Below is what they wrote:

We recently made an update to our security protocols that included all thumbnails in videos. This was intended to be a non-breaking change across the platform but in cases like yours where links were hardcoded, we were not able to seamlessly update to the new image link structure.

You will need to update your current workflow/codebase to reflect these new changes. Please review our developer documentation on initiating an API call to GET the thumbnail of a specific video from the Vimeo servers. Additionally, our API allows you to GET the thumbnails for all your videos. (ex. https://api.vimeo.com/me/videos?fields=uri,name,pictures). You can use additional parameters listed on our developer page to specify the results you need. We also have details on this in our help center.

While we do not expect the updated thumbnail links to change in the near term, our engineers recommend implementing this regularly instead of caching the video thumbnail URLs and also recommend batching these calls if possible, which will be more efficient.

I understand this change alters what’s required for your application and your workflow as a whole. Our team is committed to finding solutions that allow you to maximize your usage of Vimeo to deliver the highest quality experience for your customers.

If you need any assistance from our API team on the above process, please provide the details of your current method to retrieve the thumbnail links and how those links are embedded on your end along with any screenshots & code examples you can share so that we can provide a customized resolution.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dmitry Semenov on 22 Oct, 2021 05:37 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing!

8. 8 Posted by scarlett on 26 Oct, 2021 02:28 PM

If you'd like me to pass any info back to them, please let me know!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac