Retina Support

myatix

15 Aug, 2013 08:38 PM

+1 Retina Support...

Hi Dmitry,

Is there any estimates on when we can expect to see Retina support for the WP RoyalSlider?

Until then are there any work arounds or other plugins that will work with RoyalSlider to provide Retina support? Perhaps a plugin Such as WP Retina 2x?

I am a photographer and a large number of my customers and partners now use retina screens... Infact 78% according to Google Analytics... Is there any chance you can help find a solution to this... Hard to sell images when they look blury on a Retina display...

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great work!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dmitry Semenov on 16 Aug, 2013 05:32 PM

Hi,

Retina support will be added when browser will support it properly (it's already started, yesterday srcset was added to webkit http://www.netmagazine.com/news/webkit-supports-srcset-attribute-im... )

Currently, to keep image SEO-friendly, both 1x image and 2x image are required to be loaded, which is a huge waste of bandwidth.

If 80% of your users have retina screen, you may just set large image by default.

Dmitry

2. 2 Posted by hvb on 17 Nov, 2013 02:34 PM

Dimitri, you don't need to take the responsibility for bandwidth usage and SEO optimization. That's all on the one implementing it.

I understand if you haven't gotten around to coding this yet, but Retina is here to stay, and I for one would really appreciate this implemented, too.

Currently, I'm using retinaJS - but that's not as stable as I'd like it to be, and craps out on me after I return from Royalslider full screen. I'm looking at LESS mixins, but I can't judge if they're compatible with RS.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dmitry Semenov on 18 Nov, 2013 09:08 AM

@hvb Hi, if you're using non-WP version of slider, you may just switch the sources before it's initialized. There is even module for that, see - http://help.dimsemenov.com/discussions/suggestions/87-image-replace...

4. 4 Posted by hvb on 18 Nov, 2013 03:40 PM

Thanks! that looks like it will work :) I ended up using a .htaccess method instead, combined with a cookie, as described here
    This works out of the box for img tags, but I needed to tweak my css background-img rollovers a bit. All works fine now though!

The JS method (retinajs.js) I used before let my images switch back to standard res after I got back from RS-fullscreen.

nimbling.com

5. 5 Posted by hvb on 18 Nov, 2013 03:48 PM

Maybe this is interesting to know, too.
    Netvlies, retina revolution TLDR: Double sized Jpegs with really high compression might be smaller, and prettier than their original. This is because at retina resolutions, compression artefacts are nigh invisible!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac